Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"Things You Know For Sure"

It is always a bad sign when the first question in a meeting is "okay, tell us all the things you know for sure."

Two hours later, my head pounding, the words "this is not real" flashing before my eyes, I finally asked the party with whom I was consulting: "when's the last time you checked your credit report?"

In this netherworld, no matter how legitimate or illegitimate the potential financier, they all look slightly sketchy. Even the private equity guys I know well, who are investing large money in projects, don't return phone calls, are never in the office, blah, blah, blah.

So, what do we know for sure? Nothing. We never know anything until the wire hits the account. And even then, who knows for sure?

Currently playing:
Heart Full of Pain, The Bishops

No comments: