Saturday, April 14, 2007

Grindhouse - Why Haven't You Seen It Yet?

A and I went to Alamo South to watch Grindhouse this afternoon.

If you haven't seen it yet, go! It works as a double feature much better than as two single films. Alamo had an actual intermission in addition to the faux (or not) trailers, and I assume other theaters would do the same.

A few brief thoughts (spoiler-ish only if you're like me and like to blank-slate everything):

It was really, really excellent. There were moments of horror, and moments of hilarity. They were both clever and well-acted (when they were supposed to be).

Kurt Russell is amazing. I have not thought much about him as an actor in a long time, but he's really amazing.

They really got the tone and style right with the movies. The first one reminded me of cheap horror movies we used to watch on Saturday afternoon tv. The second reminded me of Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!-type Roger Corman movies we used to watch in college.
The only problem we had with the movie is that we ordered food during the first movie, directed by Rodriguez. Biiiiig mistake, shared by the rest of the audience.

Overall, it was a great way to spend an afternoon. Everyone we know who has seen it loved it (some making plans to catch it again) and I know we'll be picking up the dvd.

No comments: